If you would like to apply for any of the following benefits, you must contact the Midwest Operating Engineers Fringe Benefit Funds Retirement Services Group at (708) 579-6630 and request the appropriate application forms:
- Normal Retirement Pension
- Early Retirement Pension
- Disability Pension (All Work Total Disability or Operating Engineer Total Disability)
- Vested Pension
The Retirement Services Group will be happy to assist you with any information regarding the benefits under the Plan.
If you are also considering retirement in the upcoming Plan Year and you need assistance with understanding your retirement options, please schedule an appointment with the Fund Office either during the week or on a Saturday. Appointments are limited to one hour to meet with a Retirement Services Group representative. All in-person appointments are held at the Midwest Operating Engineers Fringe Benefit Funds Office located at 6150 Joliet Road, Countryside, IL 60525. Phone appointments are available as well.
- Appointments with the Retirement Services Group include:
- Retirement planning (If you have not obtained a Pension Statement within the past 6 months, please contact the Retirement Services Group at 708-579- 6630 to request one before scheduling your appointment)
- Pension application (If you have not obtained a Pension Application within the past 6 months, please contact the Retirement Services Group at 708-579- 6630 to request one before scheduling your appointment)
- Other (Turning in forms, death benefits)
Click here to schedule an appointment with the Retirement Services Group, otherwise you can call a Retirement Services Group representative at 708-579- 6630 for them to schedule your appointment.
If you are contemplating either an Early or Normal Retirement, you should start the process six months prior to your elected retirement Effective Date.
This six month time frame will allow you to :
- Request an Application Packet – Please do your best to complete as much of the application packet prior to your scheduled appointment. The Pension Representative will not be able to complete the packet for you and cannot recommend which optional form of payment to select. You should meet with a financial advisor, if necessary.
- Receive an estimate from the Retirement Services Group
- Meet with a Pension Representative to discuss your pension options and to confirm your eligibility for the Retiree Welfare Plan (RWP) – We strongly encourage you to call the Retirement Services Group at (708) 579-6630 to schedule an appointment. If you do not schedule an appointment ahead of time, we ask your patience as you may be required to wait.
- Discuss the monthly benefit options with your spouse
- Gather copies of your indicative data information for you and your spouse:
- Birth certificates
- Social Security cards
- Drivers licenses
- Your marriage license
- Divorce decree, property settlement agreement, Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QDRO), if applicable
Change Effective November 1, 2022
Effective November 1, 2022, a Participant retiring on a Normal, Early, or Vested Pension submit a completed application to establish an Annuity Starting Date (ASD) which may be based off the post marked date received by the Fund Office. A completed application means:
- all the forms are completed, signed, and dated prior to the requested ASD
- all the required documentation is received prior to the requested ASD
- Birth Certificate(s)
- Marriage Certificate, if applicable
- If divorced and a Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QDRO) has been filed, the filed QDRO and Marital Settlement Agreement must be received prior to the requested ASD
We strongly encourage Participants to start the application process six months prior to when they expect to retire. This will provide you with ample time to gather copies of the required documentation.
If you suffer an illness or injury and you are applying for a Disability Pension, you should apply for the Disability Pension as soon as possible.
This will allow you time to:
- Receive a pre-certification through the Fund’s Case Manager
- Receive a Functional Capacity Exam, if necessary
- Complete the Vocational Training Questionnaire, if necessary
- If you are applying for an All Work Total Disability Pension, you must be granted a Social Security Disability Award letter from SSA